Saturday, July 03, 2010

Our UNpet, the one-eyed wonder...

Yesterday you were introduced to the "one-eyed wonder" (aka the possum missing the right eye) in the last post. Tonight we heard some strange clicking noises outside... and this is what I found when I looked outside the front door.



I think we've determined this is "mother possum". And did I mention yesterday I think she's rather old? Well, she's back...


And what was the clicking noise? I'm glad you asked! It was the mother making a clicking noise with her mouth. And then we heard a clicking noise on the other side of the chain link fence. Then more clicking from mom, carrying 3 babies on her back. Again she would click her mouth then we'd hear more clicking from the other side of the fence. Interesting...

Kinda gross... but still interesting.

I didn't stick around to see her figure out how to go over or under or through the chain link fence... but I did snap a few pictures.


Did you know possums only have a 13 day gestation period? Check out more info here: Possums (That is, only if you're interested.)


No comments:

Copyright

All images are © Lori Tisdale, 1990-2011 unless otherwise noted. Images are posted for your personal inspiration only and may not be copied/pasted into emails to share with anyone else, posted on other sites, copied for publications, contest submissions, or monetary gain. I'd have to track you down and who knows what would happen then?! Thank you for being considerate.