Thursday, July 08, 2010

In our backyard recently...

To start with, I will say that when I first peaked out my back window and saw this creature sitting on my fence... I was bewildered. What kind of bird is this? It has a different looking head and beak than I've ever seen before.

At first I thought it was a hawk...



But several friends tell me it's a Peregrine Falcon. I guess I'll have to take their word for it. I know nothing of hawks or falcons or most birds in general... but I'm learning now I've been graced with the Falcon's presence. I understand they are not all that common in this area.

Then I think I spooked it ... it quickly flew away through the branches of the neighbor's jacaranda tree.


Everyday since I've been wanting Beautiful Falcon to come back for another visit...


In the meantime, I've been busy. Ahem, rather... Gardener Johnny has been busy! (tee hee!) OK I helped a little... but only a little. Over the past few months I've been collecting some flora to be planted in the new garden bed.


Last week "we" got the herb/rose box done. Rosemary, basil, rose-scented geranium, euphorbia and my new medallion tea rose.






This week I helped Gardener Johnny work on placement of the mexican sage, 3 canna varieties, african iris (re-purposed from another friends' yard) and agapanthus.






I couldn't stop grinning from ear-ro-ear to finally see greenery in the large flower bed! I turned on the sprinklers and sat down with my book to enjoy the cool Southern California weather...



Life is good...

No comments:

Copyright

All images are © Lori Tisdale, 1990-2011 unless otherwise noted. Images are posted for your personal inspiration only and may not be copied/pasted into emails to share with anyone else, posted on other sites, copied for publications, contest submissions, or monetary gain. I'd have to track you down and who knows what would happen then?! Thank you for being considerate.